Thursday, April 26, 2012

Seed Bars

In the last couple of weeks I've started a fast.
There are many reasons for this, personal, spiritual and health related.
Anyway, I'm not going into details on this post today (perhaps another time).
I would just like to share a recipe that I came across the other day.
Unfortunately, after much searching for the original post I cannot find it or I would have linked it here.
I did not come up with this recipe but I have made it and we like it very much so I wanted to share!
I hope that if you try it you will like it also :)

SEED BARS



Bring 1/4 cup of honey and 1 tsp of lemon zest to a slow boil. (I would suggest over medium heat as mine was a bit too hot)
Continue boiling until it forms a thick syrup, about 5 minutes.
I added a few grinds of sea salt at this point( not in original recipe)to help cut the sweet a bit since I find honey very sweet for my taste.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of each:
Sesame seeds
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Chia seeds



Spread to form a 6"x8" rectangle on parchment line baking sheet. (it was a bit of work to 'spread')
At this point I would score it into 16 pieces. If you wait to cut it like I did you will end up having to snap it into pieces.
Let set 15 to 20 minutes. Break apart into pieces.
Store covered up to 10 days.

1 bar:
60 cal
3.5g fat (0.5g sat)
7g carbs
2g fiber
4g sugar
2g protein




No comments:

Post a Comment